Slip and fall claims can be tricky, if undertaken improperly they quickly become a he said/she said situation. If you’ve been injured in a slip & fall, follow the steps below to ensure fair compensation for your injuries:
- Gather Documentation
Proving you were injured in a slip and fall is not usually that difficult, your medical records will speak for themselves. Proving someone negligently created the conditions in which you fell, that can be a bit trickier. To successfully settle a slip and fall claim, be sure to have as much documentation of the incident as possible. Such documentation may include:
- Incident Reports: Businesses are often required to create internal incident reports when someone is injured on the property. Such a report may not only describe the incident, but who witnessed it and which employees were involved.
- Photos: Many slip and falls occur due spilled liquid on slippery floors. Eventually, that liquid will dry up and with it any documentation of the hazardous condition that existed. Photos of the condition that caused the slip and fall are essential to your claim and, with the popularity of smartphones, not difficult to obtain.
- Surveillance Video: A company’s surveillance video footage can show how long a hazardous condition existed before you were injured. Be sure to request the video immediately as the average lifespan of surveillance footage is one week to one month.
- Witnesses: Ask anyone who witnessed the fall if they’d be willing to provide a statement.
- Medical Records & Bills: From x-rays to invoices, all medical documentation is useful in settling a slip and fall claim.
- Hire an Attorney
Regardless of the severity of your injuries, you should always look for an experienced personal injury or brain injury lawyer Phoenix AZ trusts to help you file your claim. Insurance companies have teams of experienced adjusters, investigators, and lawyers trying to settle your case for as little money as possible. Even if you make your claim your full-time job, your knowledge and expertise will not match theirs.
Personal injury attorneys, however, dedicate their practice to helping clients like you. Experienced attorneys are well versed in the law, they know the rules, procedures, and weird kinks about the legal system. If you hire legal representation, you are more likely to receive a higher settlement than if you attempt to handle the case on your own.
- Give it Time
Injuries sustained in a slip and fall can often take awhile to fully manifest. Settling your case too soon may prevent you from receiving compensation for injuries that later complicate. Don’t let the insurance company and their flashing dollar signs distract you from what is most important- your health and recovery.
If you’ve been injured in a slip and fall and are not sure about your options, contact a lawyer today.
Thanks to our friends and contributors from Kamper Estrada LLP for their insight into slip and fall claims.